Friday, June 21, 2013

Bittersweet

Today's the first day of summer. It feels strange to think of all that has happened in the last year...my first date with my boyfriend was a year ago today. I was looking forward to kicking butt as a junior. Alex and Ilene were both sick and in the hospital. As it turns out, only one out of those three things lasted. Justin and I are still together--he's my best friend--but my grades turned to crap and my cysters are gone.

Just like at Alex's celebration, Justin and I sang Winter Song at Ilene's funeral on Monday. It was a really short service and her family kept thanking me for singing. It's just so strange. I feel so happy sometimes and so sad others--it's like I'm not in control of my own emotions. And it's taking a toll on my friends and family. Well, not really friends...basically, it's just Justin and my parents. I've pushed everyone away in the last two months.

I'm trying to throw everything I have into dance. Dance is my one uninhibited place--I used to think writing was like that, too, but I'm coming to realize that I'm not as good at writing as I thought. I mean, I don't try on here...I just type and don't look back. But when I actually put my entire being into a piece, like a narrative or a poem, it just doesn't come out like I hope. I wanted to be the best, but I'm not.

Anyway, dance. I leave for nationals in less than a week...that seems so close. This is my last year on the competition team. Next year I'll do a solo and choreograph a couple pieces, but that's it. Bittersweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment