Monday, May 20, 2013

Walk Day 2013

Well, it's been a few days.
I have absolutely no idea what's going on with my body. The bad taste in my mouth has completely stopped and the chest pains are slowly fading away, but now I have completely knew (or, returning) symptoms to deal with. My vision is getting more and more blurry, along with extreme fatigue, headaches, dizziness, and an increase in my unbalanced tendencies. This is making it really hard to play soccer, dance, and focus in school. I haven't let up on my treatments, so I have no idea what's causing this. I just know that I have to make it to the end of the year. I have nationals for dance come July, but other than that I'm basically open. I just have to make it through school, and then I can worry further about my health.
The walk went really well! It was yesterday (well, technically two days ago. It's 12:21) and we raised at least $28,000. If we reach 30K, we could break our all-time record! And that's saying a lot, considering we've been fundraising for thirteen years. The weather was lovely, the food was lovely. A family friend named Mark set up a PA system for the music and microphone announcements, which worked wonderfully and gave the walk a really professional feel. I also got to see Deb! Deb was my nurse at the CF clinic ever since I was diagnosed until a few months ago when she left for another job. It was really hard when she left...I can't even tell you how amazing she is at her job. She's just a remarkable woman. We got a chance to chat about Alex and Ilene and transplant and me--possibly--changing clinics soon. It was extremely refreshing.
Of course, there are going to be those people who break promises. Those people who tell you they'll come but don't. Tell you they'll donate but don't. And I've gotta say, I struggle with accepting that. I always put myself in the other person's shoes and say, "If I said I would do something, I'd do it." Some "friends" from school told me they'd come to the walk, and were then overheard today talking about how they had much better things to do on a Sunday afternoon than just walk. I don't think they get it. We're walking for a CURE. A cure that could've saved my best friend. But instead, they choose to believe that I'll be okay. That everyone with CF will always be okay. I guess I'll just have to do my best to change their minds.
I've also been having some mental and emotional break-downs lately, but that's not something I want to dive into. I talked to my mom about going back to my counselor, and she thinks it's a good idea, so that'll be taking place hopefully once school gets out. I know it'll help.
I'll upload some pictures from walk day later, since I've got mountains and mountains of homework to do now...ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment